A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a piece of evidence that any employer in Canada has to provide in order to hire a foreign worker.


The employer must poof the absence of available workers in Canada. Therefore, they must advertise the position for at least four weeks and potentially interview candidates who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.


Once this cycle is completed, the business can prove that the interviewees couldn't fulfill the job description, and require a “green light” to hire a foreign worker. 


The worker must then apply for a Canadian work permit, supported by the LMIA, before beginning work in Canada.


LMIA applications are detailed and require plenty of documentation and statistical tabulation. Examples include a numerical breakdown of the number of Canadian applicants for the position, the number of offers of employment made, and the number of unqualified applicants.  Employers must provide a written description of why each un-hired Canadian was not qualified for the job.


Note: Not all work permit types require an LMIA to be issued; work permit streams that are LMIA-exempt come under the International Mobility Program.


If you need to find out more about LMIA click the link below and watch the video:



Are you coming to Canada with your spouse and want to determine if your partner can receive a work permit?


The answer is: it depends!


Your spouse or family member is often deemed eligible for an open work permit, allowing them to work full-time while you study or work.


An Open Work Permit is an official document that allows a person to work for any employer in Canada. 


You may be considered eligible for an open work permit if you are:

  • a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A, or B approved to work in Canada for six months or longer;

  • a spouse of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or college d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec;


The spousal open work permit processing time is generally four to 5 months. This can differ depending on where and when you submit your application.


You can apply for an open work permit before or after you arrive in Canada. Often, spouses will come to Canada to visit their partner at school/work. While in Canada as a visitor, they submit the application for an open work permit.


Is important to show that you have the financial resources to support the student and the spouse

  • For spouses of workers, you must show an employment letter from the employer in Canada

  • The letter should confirm that the worker in Canada is employed in a skilled position (it must show the duties they perform)

  • You should also include at least 2 payslips from the employer showing that they’re earning money

You must show that your relationship is valid - especially if it’s a new marriage. If you recently married your spouse,  treat your application more like a sponsorship application than a work permit application:

  • Provide proof of relationship such as a marriage certificate, photos, proof of communication, proof of shared funds, etc.


Note: There are a few exceptions to this rule, which include those listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with conditions.


Do you need help checking your eligibility and applying for a work permit?


Contact us and receive full support

Ready to come to canada?


    [config-end] => 0.024425983428955
    [index-end] => 0.15694904327393