Student Visa

What is a study permit?
A study permit is a document issued by the Canadian Government that allows foreigners to study in Canada at designated learning institutions.
It is important to note that your study permit is not a visa, so the permit by itself does not allow you to enter Canada. You also need a valid visitor visa or an eTA (electronic travel authorization) to enter Canada. If your study permit is approved by a Canadian consulate outside Canada, a visa will be issued with it.
If your study program in Canada is less than 6 months long, you DO NOT need a study permit. But if you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, or extend your stay after the initial program of studies, we do recommend you to apply for a study permit.
Study permit eligibility
You must meet some basic requirements to get a Study Permit. The most relevant requirements are listed below:
● Have a valid (LOA) from a chosen institution.
● have a passport that is valid for the duration of your intended program of studies.
● have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
● convince an immigration officer that you have ties to your home country.
● convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada  at the end of your studies.
● have enough money for your studies and to support your stay in Canada
○ The amount of money you will need depends on the duration of your studies and the size of your family. 
If you cannot prove that you are eligible for the Canadian Study Permit, then they will reject your application. 
You can also be refused a visa for security or health related reasons.
How to apply for a Study Permit 
To submit an application for a study permit, the Government of Canada asks for a number of documents from you and your  family members.
In order to study in Canada, the first thing you need to do is to obtain a LOA (Letter Of Acceptance) from a Canadian educational institution.  Our e-Visa Education Advisors can guide you through this process and help you choose from the 500 canadian institutions that we work closely with.
Note:  Only after being accepted by a Canadian institution, you will be able to apply for a study permit.  
In order to apply for a study permit, you will need:
Step 1 - Create a strategic plan on studying in Canada based on your end goal, budget and profile.
Step 2 - Obtain a letter of acceptance (LOA) from the chosen educational institution.
Step 3 - Submit a Study permit application.
The following documents are required in order to apply:
- The most updated application forms 
- Your LOA
- A valid passport
- Proof of funds
- A letter of intent
- A custodian declaration (if the applicant is an unaccompanied minor)
 *Other documents may be required depending on your application and country of residence.
Depending on your home country, government processing times and the speed that you can gather all required information, we suggest starting registration of your college/university and the preparation of your study permit application at the same time. 
Contact us and find out about our Study Registration and Visa combo 

FAQ - Student Visa / Study Permit

For most countries, the study permit application itself does not require a language proficiency test, but most Canadian Colleges and Universities will require you to present proof of some language proficiency, depending on your program of studies and the admission requirements from the educational institution of choice.
Most schools accept tests like TOEFL and IELTS (Academic version), and some have their own language assessment tool. Make sure you talk to one of our educational advisors about the options available to you.
If you plan to study in Canada, e-Visa has over 500 partner schools. We can help you to find the best program of studies for you! And if you plan to stay in Canada after graduation, our team of Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants and Visa Experts will guide you through all the processes, from start to finish.


 A study permit validity is usually set to 90 days after your studies are expected to finish or, in case you were able to complete your program sooner, 90 days from when you receive a notification of the program completion. 

If your program of studies qualifies for a post-graduation work permit, you can apply to extend your stay in Canada as a worker, which allows you to take full time or part-time employment, or even be self-employed.
You can still stay in Canada to travel and explore if you apply for a visitor record.
If you fell in love for Canada and decide to stay in Canada permanently, talk to one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants to find out!

As of Oct 2020, the application fee for a Study permit is CAD$150 per person. If you also have to submit the biometrics, that will cost you an additional CAD$85 per individual or $170 per family. 
 In addition to this, you may have to pay for the passport processing fee, which will cost around CAD$45 per passport.


There are several ways to obtain a PR as a student.  If your end goal is to obtain permanent residence in Canada, you need to plan accordingly. Our team of immigration and education consultants will plan an immigration action plan according to your profile, budget and end goals.  check out our education and immigration combo package

Yes, you may be able to bring your spouse or common-law partner with you to Canada, as well as your dependent children. They may be eligible for a study, work permit, or a visitor visa while accompanying you on your studies. contact us to find out if you qualify!

If you have previously been refused for any visa to Canada, you can apply again; however,  if you apply with the same information, chances are that you will not obtain the outcome you are looking for.  Here at e-Visa, we have assisted with thousands and thousands of applications and our team of Immigration consultants and visa specialists are trained to prepare a strong and professional application that can increase your chances of success  We have created a 4 step-system for when you have had a previous refusal. 
The 4 steps are:
Step 1:  Obtain the notes of officer on your previous application
Step 2:  Review the files and strategize on your new application
Step 3:  Prepare complete list of documents recommended to make your application stronger 
Step 4:  Apply    

If you had a previous refusal, contact us today to start your process to reapply.

No, you do not need to wait before your refusal, unless the recommended steps to make your application stronger requires time. 
Follow the e-Visa 4-step-system above and reapply asap! Contact us.

Do you want to study in Canada?


Meet Our Team




    [config-end] => 0.023734092712402
    [index-end] => 0.14785408973694