What is a study permit?
A study permit is a document issued by the Canadian Government that allows foreigners to study in Canada at designated learning institutions.
It is important to note that your study permit is not a visa, so the permit by itself does not allow you to enter Canada. You also need a valid visitor visa or an eTA (electronic travel authorization) to enter Canada. If your study permit is approved by a Canadian consulate outside Canada, a visa will be issued with it.
If your study program in Canada is less than 6 months long, you DO NOT need a study permit. But if you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, or extend your stay after the initial program of studies, we do recommend you to apply for a study permit.
Study permit eligibility
You must meet some basic requirements to get a Study Permit. The most relevant requirements are listed below:
● Have a valid (LOA) from a chosen institution.
● have a passport that is valid for the duration of your intended program of studies.
● have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
● convince an immigration officer that you have ties to your home country.
● convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.
● have enough money for your studies and to support your stay in Canada
○ The amount of money you will need depends on the duration of your studies and the size of your family.
If you cannot prove that you are eligible for the Canadian Study Permit, then they will reject your application.
You can also be refused a visa for security or health related reasons.
How to apply for a Study Permit
To submit an application for a study permit, the Government of Canada asks for a number of documents from you and your family members.
In order to study in Canada, the first thing you need to do is to obtain a LOA (Letter Of Acceptance) from a Canadian educational institution. Our e-Visa Education Advisors can guide you through this process and help you choose from the 500 canadian institutions that we work closely with.
Note: Only after being accepted by a Canadian institution, you will be able to apply for a study permit.
In order to apply for a study permit, you will need:
Step 1 - Create a strategic plan on studying in Canada based on your end goal, budget and profile.
Step 2 - Obtain a letter of acceptance (LOA) from the chosen educational institution.
Step 3 - Submit a Study permit application.
The following documents are required in order to apply:
- The most updated application forms
- Your LOA
- A valid passport
- Proof of funds
- A letter of intent
- A custodian declaration (if the applicant is an unaccompanied minor)
*Other documents may be required depending on your application and country of residence.
Depending on your home country, government processing times and the speed that you can gather all required information, we suggest starting registration of your college/university and the preparation of your study permit application at the same time.
Contact us and find out about our Study Registration and Visa combo