Canada's Revised Off-Campus Work Hours for International Students

29 April, 2024

Canada's Revised Off-Campus Work Hours for International Students

Immigration Minister Marc Miller has announced the non-renewal of temporary measures concerning off-campus work hours for international students.
Since October 2022, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) had temporarily permitted international students with off-campus work authorization on their study permits to work more than 20 hours per week while classes were in session, contrary to previous regulations.
However, as of the upcoming fall academic semester, international students in Canada will only be allowed to work up to 24 hours per week while classes are in session. This decision comes unexpectedly, considering that last December IRCC had expressed intentions to explore future policy options, such as extending off-campus work hours for international students to 30 hours per week during class sessions.
Today, the Minister emphasized that allowing students to work 30 hours per week during the academic year would inevitably harm their academic performance.
Moreover, he highlighted that imposing limits on off-campus work hours would discourage international students from seeking study permits primarily for employment purposes in Canada.
He also noted that 24 hours per week would likely suffice, considering the increased cost of living requirement for international students announced last December.
To qualify for a study permit as an international student in Canada, applicants must demonstrate savings of $20,635 in addition to tuition fees.
International students currently on an academic break in Canada are permitted to work unrestricted hours. However, those enrolled in summer classes must adhere to the 20 hours per 


Other changes for international students


This marks the most recent development in a series of adjustments to Canada's international student program. According to IRCC, these changes aim to enhance the system's integrity.
For instance, the department introduced an additional requirement for obtaining a study permit. Students must now obtain a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from the province where their designated learning institution (DLI) is situated. This measure aligns with an overall limit on the number of study permits that IRCC will process in 2024.
Furthermore, the department is actively working on implementing the Trusted Institutions Framework for DLIs in Canada. This framework targets institutions with a proven track record of providing adequate support to international students.


Am I eligible to work in Canada as an international student?


International students seeking off-campus employment during the academic year must fulfill several criteria, including:
  • Possession of a valid study permit
  • Full-time enrollment at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Commencement of studies at their DLI and maintenance of satisfactory academic standing
  • Participation in an academic, vocational, or professional training program lasting at least six months and culminating in a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • Possession of a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Students are permitted to work unlimited hours in Canada during academic breaks, provided they are enrolled to resume full-time studies in the upcoming semester.
If you have further questions, please contact our team and schedule a consultation with our specialists! e-Visa Immigration is ready to assist you at any stage of your process.
    [config-end] => 0.029414892196655
    [index-end] => 0.16551399230957